Pregnancy pillows or maternity pillows are designed to assist the mom-to-be in getting the best and most comfortable night’s sleep possible. Inhealth stock the most popular brand of pregnancy pillow - the award-winning Dreamgenii pregnancy pillow. The Dreamgenii pregnancy pillow can also be used as a breastfeeding pillow after the baby is born. Inhealth also stocks spare covers for the DreamGenii pregnancy pillow - a white cotton one and a winter fleece one. DreamGenii also make the breastfeeding pillow and baby nest to support both mother and baby during breastfeeding. All DreamGenii pregnancy pillow products are delivered the next day from Inhealth’s warehouse in Dublin. Please see further information on DreamGenii pregnancy pillows at the end of this page.
What’s a pregnancy pillow? A pregnancy pillow is simply a long shaped pillow that is designed to provide you with maximum support while sleeping during your pregnancy. Pregnancy pillows are usually the length of your body and are ideal for any women who have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep while pregnant as they find it very difficult to get comfortable. A well-designed pregnancy pillow or maternity pillow will provide support for your back and bump while sleeping, and not be so big that it takes up too much space in the bed. Your pregnancy pillow should also encourage you to sleep on your left side which, from the second trimester onwards, is the recommended side for you to sleep on. This is because this positioning of the mother encourages the baby into the best position for birth.
Tips for a good night’s sleep while pregnant:
- Invest in a pregnancy pillow or maternity pillow to help ease any discomfort from your bump or your back
- Ensure you drink plenty of fluids during the day, but reduce the quantity you drink as bed time approaches, so as to minimise the number of times you need to disrupt your sleep during the night to go to the bathroom
- Take a warm shower or bath to relax you
- Try to take some gentle exercise during the day such as walking or swimming.
DreamGenii Pregnancy Pillow
The Dreamgenii Pregnancy Pillow had won awards for its design and practicality, including Pregnancy Product of the Year 2007 by Practical Parent magazine. This maternity pillow’s unique design:
- Encourages you to sleep on your left side
- Enables you to easily switch over to your other side if required
- Provides gentle support to your back, bump and knees using the four special padding cushion parts of the pregnancy pillow
- Does not take up much room in the bed so enables both you and your partner get a good night’s rest.
- After your baby is born, your DreamGenii pregnancy pillow can double up as a breastfeeding pillow.
How to use your DreamGenii Pregnancy Pillow for Sleeping
The DreamGenii pregnancy pillow is designed specifically to provide optimum yet gentle support to as many parts of the body as possible while pregnant and sleeping. As per the illustration, this maternity pillow has four individual areas of padding and support:
- Back support cushion part of the pregnancy pillow - when sleeping on the left hand side (the optimum side), this cushion provides support for the back; when sleeping on the right, this cushion supports the bump. It also prevents rolling on to the back.
- Quilted pad to rest on - this part helps maintain the positioning of the two sides of the pregnancy pillow while sleeping. It also gives support to the middle part of the body/waist.
- Bump support cushion part of the pregnancy pillow - when lying on the left, this provides support to the bump; when lying on the right, this gives support to the back.
- Leg or knee support cushion - regardless of which side the mother is lying on, this provides support and reduces pressure on the back and bump by gently lifting the upper leg and knee.
Steps to your best night’s rest using the DreamGenii Pregnancy Pillow
- Place your pregnancy pillow flat on your mattress, with the back support cushion at the usual place on the bed that your middle or lower back rests, and the leg support cushion on the right hand side.
- Lie on the maternity pillow, on your left side, with the quilted pad at the most comfortable spot for you under your middle side. If you sleep on the right hand side of the bed, you may find it easier to lift up the leg support cushion part of the pregnancy pillow as you lie on the bed, then lie behind it.
- The back support cushion part of the pregnancy pillow should lie firmly but gently into the small of your back. This helps encourage you to lie on your left hand side and reduce the chance of you rolling over onto your back while sleeping. When you are expecting, sleeping on your back can be uncomfortable and restrict blood flow to your baby.
- Next place the leg support cushion part of the pregnancy pillow between your knees. This helps lift the upper leg, reducing pressure on your back and bump.
- Now that your back and knee support cushions are in place, gently pull the bump support cushion towards your bump until you feel it gently resting against it.
- You are now lying on your left hand side which, as stated above, is the optimum position for you and your baby, and is the position the DreamGenii pregnancy pillow is designed to provide the most comfortable sleep in. Many believe that this positioning can result in a shorter and less painful delivery for mother and baby.
Changing sides with the DreamGenii Pregnancy Pillow:
While it is recommended that the mother sleeps on her left hand side during pregnancy, it is unrealistic to achieve this optimum positioning all the time. The Dream Genii maternity pillow allows the mother to switch sides during the night without having to alter the position of the pregnancy pillow.
- Remove the leg support cushion from between your knees and roll onto your right hand side, leaving the quilted pad part of the pregnancy pillow in place under you.
- Pass the leg support cushion through the back of your knees - this provides the same support as when lying on your left hand side.
- The bump support cushion now provides support to your back; adjust the positioning of this part of the pregnancy pillow until you are comfortable.
- The back support cushion now provides support to your bump; again adjust the positioning until you are comfortable.
Enjoy your night’s sleep!
Using your DreamGenii Pregnancy Pillow for BreastFeeding
Your DreamGenii maternity pillow can continue to be of use after pregnancy by doubling up as a breastfeeding support pillow. Choose a comfortable chair to feed in, and have your baby close by and in a safe place.
- Wrap the leg support part of the maternity pillow behind you, into the small of your back.
- Bring the back and bump support cushions parts of the pregnancy pillow together in front of you to form a comfortable resting place for your baby, at just the right height for feeding.
- You may need to place another cushion under your arm or elbow, on the side that the baby is feeding from.
All Dream Genii Pregnancy Pillows are delivered the next day from Inhealth’s warehouse in Dublin.