What is Sleep Hygiene? Our Top Tips for a Good Night's Sleep
It's a term that's taking the world by storm, but what is it, exactly?
Essentially, sleep hygiene refers to the habits and practices that promote good sleep. It's about ensuring that you're in the best position possible, both literally and figuratively, for a good night's sleep. Here's what you can do to achieve the best night's sleep you've had in a while...
- Stick to the schedule! It's recommended that you try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday. This include weekends. So, as tempting as it may be to have that indulgent weekend lie-in, it can actually set you back on your sleep schedule and disturb your routine.
- Avoid any stimulating activities at least 30 minutes before you go to bed. This includes watching TV or using your phone.
- Create a comfortable sleep environment: Make sure your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet. Use comfortable bedding and pillows, and consider using a white noise machine to help block out any outside noise.
- Limit exposure to screens and bright lights in the evening: The blue light emitted from screens can suppress melatonin production, which makes it harder to fall asleep.
- Avoid heavy meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bed: These can disrupt your sleep and make it harder to fall asleep.
- Incorporate relaxation techniques: Try deep breathing exercises, meditation, or yoga to help relax your mind and body before bed.
- Regular exercise: Regular exercise during the day can help you fall asleep faster and improve the quality of your sleep.
- Get natural light during the day: Try to spend time outside during the day and open your curtains or blinds to let natural light into your home.
- Establish a bedtime routine: Establish a bedtime routine to help you relax and prepare for sleep.
- Consider using a sleep mask and earplugs: If you are living in a noisy or bright environment, consider using a sleep mask and earplugs to help block out distractions. We also recommend the Gro-Anywhere Blind to block out light.