Here's How Many Hours of Sleep You REALLY Need
It's a question as old as time...How many hours of sleep do we really need? We've all heard of the billionaires that swear by 4 hours, and some of us may know people who can't go without at least 9! Well, the answer is, it depends. Here's how much shut eye you should be getting depending on your age...
- Adults (18-64 years): 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+ years): 7-8 hours. You may notice older adults need the least sleep. This is because adults need less sleep as they age, as sleep patterns change and they tend to have lighter sleep. The amount of deep sleep decreases. Deep sleep is a stage of sleep which occurs when the body repairs and rests itself.
- Teenagers (14-17 years): 8-10 hours. Generally, teens require a little more sleep as their bodies are undergoing both physical and hormonal changes that require more rest. Additionally, the sleep patterns of teens change during puberty, with a natural tendency to feel sleepy later at night and wake up later in the morning
- Children (6-13 years): 9-11 hours
- Preschoolers (3-5 years): 10-13 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): 11-14 hours
- Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours
- Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours. Newborns need the most sleep, as they're because they're quickly growing and developing, thus sleep is vital. This may be in short intervals, to support brain development, improve memory, enhance growth and repair of tissues, and regulate their hormones.
And there you have it! adequate sleep is vital for good health. Shop our entire health selection here at InHealth.ie, and enjoy Next Working Day Delivery in Ireland when you place your order before 2pm!