The Digital Basal Thermometer allows a woman to determine her body temperature for basal body temperature (BBT) charting purposes. Designed specifically for fertility charting and predicting ovulation, it provides results to 1/100th of a degree Fahrenheit. Because consistency and accuracy are critical, the thermometer also offers helpful charting functions, such as digital memory recall and a peak temperature indicator.
- Digital display reads to 1/100th of a degree Fahrenheit (e.g. 97.56).
- Certified accuracy to 1/10th of a degree.
- Peak-temperature indicator sound.
- Large, easy-to-read digital display.
- Digital memory recall function for most recent reading.
- Includes a replaceable battery, clear storage case and an ovulation chart.
How to use:
- Take your temperature first thing in the morning. Use a digital BBT thermometer to take your temperature as soon as you wake up. Do it while you’re still lying down before you do anything else — even sitting up, talking or taking a sip of water.
- Record your temperature. Plot your temperature on the BBT chart or record the data in a BBT app. (Make sure you’ve gotten at least three hours of uninterrupted sleep for the most accurate reading.) If you’re using a smart BBT thermometer, your temperature might get stored on your phone automatically. Your BBT rises about half a degree immediately after ovulation, so if the increase has held steady for three days or more, it’s safe to assume that you’ve ovulated.
- Look for a trend. After a few months you should start to detect a pattern of temperature highs and lows. You can use that information to predict when you’ll ovulate during your next cycle.
- Have sex when you’re most fertile. Ovulation usually happens a day or two before your BBT rises. (For instance, if your BBT increase happens on day 16 of your cycle each month, you’re probably ovulating on day 14 or 15.) Plan to have sex on the days that you’re ovulating, and give yourself some extra insurance by having sex one or two days before and after ovulation too. (Sperm can hang around for a few days waiting for the egg to show up.)