Why is it important to carry a baby as opposed to placing them in a pram or buggy?
Carrying your baby gives them a real feeling of security. They can feel your warmth and closeness, and hear your heartbeat. All new mothers and fathers are informed of the importance of immediate skin-to-skin bonding as soon as a baby is born. Breastfeeding encourages the continuation of this bonding, but all skin to skin contact is recommended for nurturing the bond between parents and children. This is not always practical to continue with, but carrying your baby in a baby sling is the next best thing. A baby in the womb hears their mother’s heartbeat all the time, and the voices of their mother and others close by, often the father. The Baba Baby Sling gives your baby the security of knowing that some things don’t change; they can still hear and feel your heartbeat and, as it is usually the parents who carry the child in the baby carrier, hear the familiar voices again.
Babies are also more stimulated if they are physically closer to you, as they would be in the Baba baby sling. Many babies crying in their prams or cots will instantly stop crying when lifted out, after feeling the warmth and closeness of, usually, a parent.
Carrying a baby in a sling means that time spent apart from the parents is reduced, and you have close eye to eye contact to them as often as both of you require it.
How is the Baba Baby Sling different to other baby carriers available?
- Some of the other baby carriers or baby slings on the market can only carry your baby in the upright position, facing you. This could put pressure on a young baby’s growing spine. The Baba Sling recommends the hammock-style position as the best one for small babies, as it doesn’t put any unnecessary pressure on the developing spine.
- The Baba Sling has six carrying positions to choose from, some suitable from birth and others for older babies or toddlers. So you get great value from your Baba Baby Sling as your child grows. Other baby carriers do not have this flexibility and versatility.
- Breastfeeding is also simple using the Baba Baby Sling, and discreet as well! Extra shawls and wraps are not required, so this baby carrier is practical and gives you the freedom to feed your baby anywhere you choose.
- As the Baba Sling is so easy to use and adjust, it can easily be worn by anyone else minding your precious baby - a relative, a childminder, a babysitter.
- Dads are really important in their baby’s life, so the Baba sling’s design is not only practical and functional, but also looks good and is comfortable for both parents to wear.
- This baby sling has been ergonomically designed with both your baby’s and your own support and comfort in mind. So your baby is protected and supported while in the Baba Sling, and your back / the wearer’s back is not under any stress.
- If your baby falls asleep while in the Baba Sling, its unique unbuckling system allows you to easily remove the baby carrier without waking or disturbing your baby’s sleep.
Useful facts and information about the Baba Sling:
- The Baba Baby Sling can be used from birth to about 2-3 years, depending on you and your child’s weight and height.
- It is easy to check if the Baba Sling is at the right position for you. Ideally your baby should be carried in your centre of gravity, to make it as easiest for you to carry them. If you feel you constantly need to place a hand under your baby in the Baba Sling, it may be sitting down too low on your body. So simply tighten the upper strap until you feel that your baby is fully supported and safe.
- As the Baba Sling can be adjusted to so many positions, it is possible to wear it even if you sometimes get backache. For all wearers of the Baba Sling, it is recommended that your alternate the position you hold your baby in, for example switch shoulders so that the weight is not always on the same one. You may like to talk to your doctor if you have more serious back problems, and would like to use this baby carrier.
- The Baba Sling is made of 100% cotton drill, with some padding for both you and your baby’s comfort. The cotton is strong, durable and breathable, and cotton is easily washed at 40 degrees. It cannot be tumble-dried in case it damages the all-important buckles.
The Baba Sling is delivered the next day from our warehouse in Dublin.